[Openstack] HA for Swift proxy and object server processes

Michael Barton mike-launchpad at weirdlooking.com
Fri Jan 20 06:20:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Bob Schatz <bschatz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed that if I kill any of the proxy or object server processes they
> are not restarted.

Worker processes should be restarted automatically (though I haven't
looked at or tested that code in a while).  There's a parent process
that won't automatically restart.

> Is there any reason why they are not started/monitored/restarted with an
> Upstart script?

The all-in-one instructions are more for a development/testing
environment.  Using upstart or not is sort of an
administration/packaging decision.  We're not generally upstart guys,
but it would probably be easy to make a script for Swift.

> Is there any problem restarting these processes?   Will health check
> monitoring do this (I have not read all of the documentation yet)?

There isn't any monitoring built into Swift, but basic availability
and such shouldn't be difficult to monitor with the third-party tools
of your choosing.

-Michael