[Openstack] how to verify nova uses openstackx extensions?

Anthony Young sleepsonthefloor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:13:58 UTC 2012

In your nova-api log, you should see lines like the following if openstackx
is loading:

2012-01-18 09:32:01,329 DEBUG nova.api.openstack.extensions [-] Loading
extension extensions.admin.Admin from (pid=3731) debug
/opt/stack/nova/nova/log.py:1752012-01-18 09:32:01,620 DEBUG
nova.api.openstack.extensions [-] Calling extension factory
extensions.admin.Admin from (pid=3731) debug /opt/stack/nova/nova/log.py:175

The above is from essex, and the mechanism for extension loading changed
since diablo so your log line may be slightly different.

To load extensions in diablo you use ----osapi_extensions_path and then
nova automatically loads extensions found in that directory.  You should
verify that this path is accessible to the nova user as well as the apache
user (In your example you say "/home/user/src/openstackx/extensions" which
may not be readable by default).  In diablo, 'standard extensions' are
always loaded.

In essex trunk, you can specify a list of extensions like so:

--osapi_compute_extension=nova.api.openstack.compute.contrib.standard_extensions
(note that this class path changed very recently and used to
be nova.api.openstack.v2.contrib.standard_extensions)
--osapi_compute_extension=extensions.admin.Admin

Doing the above loads the standard extensions, as well as openstackx.  In
devstack, we ensure that the python class paths are set up by using 'python
setup.py develop' in the various projects.

I'm not sure which version of openstack you would get on rawhide.  But in
general, you need the same version of all components.  So if you are using
stable/diablo for dash, you should use stable/diablo for everything else
(including openstackx).  If you look at the stable/diablo branch of
devstack it lists teh appropriate stable/diablo git branches in stackrc as
a point of reference.

FYI, I'm trying to get rid of the openstackx dependency right now for
essex, so hopefully we'll have that resolved soon.