[Openstack] how metadata service works in multi_host mode

heut2008 heut2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:10:26 UTC 2012

hi,folks
  I am confused that when we config nova to use multi_host in Vlan mode.
both nova-compute and nova-network run in the same server.
how does the instance get the metadata.

1、the instance try to get the metadata from 169.254.169.254. the request is
send to nova-network through the switch confingured with trunk,
2、nova-network change the dst address of the packet to nova-api address and
port.
3、nova-network forward the reqest packet to nova-api server.(
4、 the src address now is the  address of the instance which the api server
does not know.so the result is the packet can't be routed to the
instance.

is this right? may i misunderstand some thing.please correct me .

yaguang