[Openstack] new install document for Compute/Image/Identity/Dashboard

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Jan 16 16:18:51 UTC 2012

Hi all -
With lots of help from reviewers at Rackspace and beyond, I've drafted
a new installation guide for the stable Diablo release. Currently it
points to packages from two sources - Cloud Builders and Managed IT.
Much gratitude goes to both groups for their hard work. These
instructions currently work for Ubuntu only but the way the document
is put together, adding additional walkthroughs on more OSes should be
straightforward to create. I also want to note that it's
straightforward to add Object Storage installation instructions next.

I'd say it still takes me a half day to set up these four project to
work together. My hope is that this document helps others do it
faster, after all I'm barely a jr. sys admin and I don't work in
production or operations.

The reason for my email is that I want to ensure the community is on
board with this shift towards community-supported packages based on
backported fixes. I saw in the last team meeting that the people
creating new point releases of Nova and Glance are also looking
towards the packaging team to make ppas for these point releases. I
think this document can easily flex when that occurs, but I want to be
sure everyone's okay with the approach for now. The main goal is to
help people get going beyond DevStack (which in itself is plain
awesome) when it's time for understanding the concepts rather than
watching the magic happen.

Let me know of any concerns or gotchas with this approach to the installation.

Thanks,
Anne

Content Stacker
anne at openstack.org