[Openstack] [OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Foundation

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 10:26:01 UTC 2012

Hi Todd,

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 18:29 -0500, Todd Willey wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > The previous thread here that I contributed to felt a little like
> > Thierry and I chatting alone in a giant cavern.
> >
> > That concerns me for two reasons - (1) the silence of all those
> > excellent RAX OpenStack developers suggests that those folks are either
> > afraid to publicly speak their mind on these matters, or they are
> > ambivalent about them and (2) there are obviously many other discussions
> > happening away from the transparency of this mailing list.
>
> Speaking for myself: I'm more interested in driving the code base
> forward than the foundation.
>
> The foundation bits are in the hands of trustworthy people that are
> very approachable.  Knowing I can ask about it at any time, and that
> it is moving forward without having to constantly bird-dog it makes me
> happy and able to be productive in other ways.

So, generally speaking, RAX hackers are regularly talking (in-person, on
private mail, irc, phone?) to the folks working on establishing the
foundation and are reassured by what they are hearing back?

I'm reassured that you're reassured (genuinely), but I'd be more
reassured if such questions and assurances were happening on this list
where I too could be directly reassured by the assurances given ... if
you follow me :-)

> I don't think there is going to be any publicly holding back from
> developers once there are more substantial bits that we have opinions
> on, and we'll register them on the list the same way as everyone else.
>  Looking at the foundation archives, I'm not sure how you construed
> silence on behalf of RAX developers more than anyone else in the first
> place.  It is very low volume so you have a poor sample to begin with,
> and a lot of what is there is in fact from Rackspace employees.

Ok, cool. I'm really looking forward to hearing the thoughts of more
developers on this stuff.

Thanks for the perspective Todd.

Cheers,
Mark.