[Openstack] [OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Foundation

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 6 10:06:25 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 15:16 -0500, mark at openstack.org wrote:
>> To kick things off I've created a Foundation page on the wiki and
>> published a "Foundation Mission" draft for comment
>
> Nicely done on the Foundation Mission. It covers a lot of ground
> concisely. Great start. Really.
>
> At first glance, one thing that seems missing is "OpenStack is a
> self-governing meritocracy". Compare with the GNOME Charter, "How the
> ASF works" and the Document Foundation Manifesto.
>
> There's lots of ways we could reflect this principle of meritocracy -
> e.g. to highlight that the foundation is not an entity separated from
> its members, but rather its members are the foundation. Members are
> empowered beyond the points you list; they are empowered to
> fundamentally shift the direction of the foundation itself. Influence in
> the foundation is based solely on what one is doing to drive the project
> forward. etc.

I agree with you. It sounds pretty critical to state that the foundation
is not independent from its contributing members. I would therefore
suggest to replace "The OpenStack Foundation is an independent body..."
by "The OpenStack Foundation is a self-governing meritocracy...".

The details on how to translate that into a governing structure belongs
to the yet-unknown structure document, but I think that key principle
belongs to the mission charter.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)