[Openstack] openstack-common

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 4 16:57:35 UTC 2012

Openstack-common could be great. There are lots of use cases that make a lot of sense to put in openstack common. Configuration loading, context, some aspects of logging, wsgi middleware, some parts of utils--those seem to me like great opportunities to save time and effort, both writing and reading code, through code reuse.

Unfortunately, openstack-common could also be horrible. When a problematic module makes it into openstack-common it gets enshrined in "rough consensus" and is much harder to change or replace. If there are divergent use cases for that module, no doubt the common implementation of it will be riddled with conditional code paths, with each path only truly being exercised by one project (illusory reuse). If the module frequently has to change, then backwards compatibility requirements will make the code even more complicated and harder to understand and change. The requirement that "there is no other API in OpenStack competing for this consensus" means that, when a spaghetti-code module ought to be simply replaced or removed from common, fewer people will be willing to do this work because they now have to change the calling code in N projects.

We need to think carefully about how we will avoid and address this problem. I have a few proposals. I'm not 100% certain of any of these, but I'd like for you to consider them.

1) The process of adding code to common should require input from every core project. This might take the form of requiring one core member from each to approve the merge.

2) We should plan to be restrictive about what lands in common. We should plan to fight complexity and illusory reuse before something lands in common rather than relying exclusively on iterating on it after it is in common.

3) Rather than forking jkoelker/openstack-common, we should create a new project and merge sections in piecemeal. This creates the opportunity to review each part separately.

4) Above and beyond #2 and #3, our first steps should err on the side of safety.

  So while I feel that a lot of the modules in the current openstack-common github repo definitely belong there, I am really worried about the web framework and serialization code. That code in particular feels likely to change and likely to have different uses in different projects. As such it will probably bite us with complexity both from backwards compatibility and illusory reuse. Maybe we can refactor and rewrite to avoid these problems, but we should probably do that before adding it to common rather than after.

As always, just my 2 cents, but I hope there are others out there who are similarly concerned that openstack-common might not be worth it if we just try to go full-tilt on code reuse.