[Openstack] openstack-common

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 21:14:19 UTC 2012

On 01/03/2012 02:54 PM, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> I'd love to see openstack-common get off the ground, so I'm all in favor of this.
>
> One question: why do you feel that you need such strong backwards compatibility?  If someone makes a change in openstack-common and makes simultaneous changes in all OpenStack projects to match, isn’t that sufficient?

This is somewhat related to the recent thread on gating commits on
integration tests.  There has to be at least some level of backwards
compatibility to ensure that tests don't explode when changes are going
in across multiple repos.

It's also nice to set expectations for projects that want to use
openstack-common, but aren't an openstack core project but perhaps would
like to be eventually.

--
Russell Bryant