[Openstack] Testing SSL?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jan 3 20:20:24 UTC 2012

I am looking at how others are testing SSL and was wondering if there is a suggested method to do this.

For a submission I am doing for kombu enabling SSL, the code changes are mainly passing config down through kombu but I was wondering if there is a method (smoke test), unit test (does that make sense?) for ensuring that SSL is actually working as suggested.

For this kombu change would it make sense to test that the kombu library passes the SSL config all the way through or is this more of testing kombu (which openstack doesn't seem like it should be getting in the business of)? This seems like a similar question that could be asked for other SSL changes others are doing, are they adding tests (smoke or unit) that ensure SSL got turned on or are they relying on the underlying implementation (ie apache, rabbitmq, kombu...) and just making sure the correct config is passed to that implementation?

Thoughts?

-Josh