[Openstack] Problems with run_tests.sh on 11.10

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 3 18:10:30 UTC 2012

On 01/03/2012 12:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 12:50 +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> 2011/12/30 John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com>:
>>> Oops, sorry about that.  Forgot to check it in the venv, which reveals the
>>> issue:
>>>
>>>  % tools/with_venv.sh
>>> jdg at grumpy ~/Projects/OpenStack/nova
>>>  % python
>>> Python 2.7.2+ (default, Oct  4 2011, 20:06:09)
>>> [GCC 4.6.1] on linux2
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/M2Crypto/__init__.py", line
>>> 22, in <module>
>>>     import __m2crypto
>>> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/M2Crypto/__m2crypto.so:
>>> undefined symbol: SSLv2_method
>>>>>>

>> Ah, yes. That's because M2Crypto hasn't kept up wit the removal of
>> SSLv2 from OpenSSL.
>>
>> It's fixed in the Ubuntu packages, so if you remove the M2Crypto line
>> from pip-requires and put this instead:
>>
>> -e bzr+http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/m2crypto/precise/#egg=M2Crypto
>>
>> You should be fine. (Yes, the line in pip-requires should start with
>> "-e")
>
> In Nova, install_venv.py just uses the system M2Crypto package on Fedora
> rather than pip installing it.
>
> I think that makes most sense - consider it a system library which we
> prefer to use from the underlying distro rather than from PyPi.

The problem I have with that, actually, is that install_venv.py in some
cases winds up installing something to the system as a whole, which is
not advertised and might be surprising to a user. I'm sure we could go
back and forth on that though, and I totally hear the arguments on the
other side.

However - I do have a patch which works across ubuntu and fedora just
fine. I'm going to do my best to get it upstreamed (since I would hope
that M2Crypto would want a pip install of their code to work) In the
mean time, figuring out the best place to put it is one of my tasks for
today.

Monty