[Openstack] Integration test gating on trunk

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 08:25:27 UTC 2012

Hi James,

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 14:51 -0800, James E. Blair wrote:
> Having said that, the Jenkins job has been running in silent mode on
> master for several days with few false errors.  My feeling from the
> design summit was that it was generally understood there would be a
> shakedown period, and people are willing to accept some risk and some
> extra work for the benefits an integration test gating job will brink.
> I think we're at that point, so I'd like to turn this job on Tuesday,
> January 3rd.

There were quite a few issues with gating the stable branch just before
the holidays and it took a while to work through them. Meanwhile, the
commits were blocked from merging. That's not such a big deal for the
stable branch since it only really affected me, but it's a different
story with master.

Do you feel those issues were one-offs and we won't see similar issues
again? How about leaving it for another week and seeing how many issues
crop up?

Bear in mind that, from your perspective, each might be fairly minor and
fixed quickly, but if it means other folks struggling to figure out
what's going on for half a day, that will get old quickly.

Maybe my concern is really that the number of people who can fix issues
is quite small - with the stable branch issues it seemed to be one of
you, Monty or Jesse - and it's not always even very clear whether the
issue is with one's commit or tests themselves.

Cheers,
Mark.