[Openstack] [CHEF] Aligning Cookbook Efforts

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:21:09 UTC 2012

cc'ing Maru since his particular cookbook is being discussed here :

On 02/28/2012 02:56 PM, andi abes wrote:
> yes and no....
>
> One neat feature of chef is it's search capability - being able to
> query the sever of where other pieces of the puzzle are located, which
> makes it very convenient for multi-node operations.
> E.g. for swift there are a few cookbooks floating around where by the
> rings are constructed by locating all the servers that are tagged as
> "storage" nodes (i.e. they have the appropriate role(s) assigned to
> them.
> While "search" is a neat capability, it does make the recipes more
> complex (recipes are part of cookbooks, that express the operations to
> be performed). So if the intent is to have the cookbooks serve as an
> newbie exemplar, showcasing openstack - its probably not a good idea.
>
> Other complexities arise when you start dealing with machine variably,
> that can be easily hidden in SAIO. Using swift as an example - the #
> and device names of disks. In SAIO, you just create a bunch of
> loopback devices... (at least the sample deployment docs do). On a
> more (dare I say) "production" environment, you'd want to discover
> what disks are available, and use the appropriate ones.
>
> That said - there could be recipes for both SIAO and multi-node. Users
> would then have to combine and apply the right set. But maybe that's
> not the full question... maybe a more ""complete"" question would be:
>
> is this effort geared towards producing deployments that can be
> considered "production ready"?

I believe most people would answer "Yes". The openstack-chef upstream
cookbooks should be geared towards production environments.

I was just asking if there is the ability to have both production-ready
recipes and "try this out" recipes all in the same repo. Sounds like
that's not really a good thing, and if not, we should decide where the
appropriate place to put "try this out" recipes should be?