[Openstack] [CHEF] Aligning Cookbook Efforts

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:44:35 UTC 2012

cc'ing list, since it's a great question and good follow-up conversation
to have...

On 02/28/2012 02:32 PM, andi abes wrote:
>> Interesting. Would you mind doing a code review on Mary Newby's Swift All in
>> One cookbook? Could sure use your experience :)
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#change,3613
>>
>> Might be a good dip into the Gerrit world for ya, too ;)
>
> I think I might get to be a scratched record here, since the question
> was asked before.... is the goal of these cookbooks to support a SAIO
> env, or a more multi-noded version?
>
> a SIOA would be nice for devs and newbies, but hides some of the
> complexities. A multi-noded version would be more complex (and
> probably controversial around tradeoffs) but potentially have more
> value for users...
>
> (I obviously have my opinion, but curious as to where other folks are
> trying to drive this effort)

I think that both are incredibly useful. With my as-yet-still-limited
understanding of Chef, it would be possible to have both an SAIO and a
multi-node Swift cookbook in the same repo, no? Or some combination of
cookbooks and roles that would allow a node to install SAIO or a piece
of the Swift multi-node puzzle?

-jay