[Openstack] Basic networking/configuration woes

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 03:47:04 UTC 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:

>> If you're going to go the cloud-init route... you wouldn't need DHCP, right?   There should be iptables rules to allow you to talk to the metadata service over 169.254.*  (And linux should give you a default link-local address that allows you to talk to the MD service magically)
>>
>> Do you have a non-nova DHCP server running as well?
>
> Yes, I do have a non-nova DHCP server.  However, even if I didn't, and
> even if iptables allowed talking to 169.254 with the magic link-local,
> cloud-init still couldn't configure the IP address... :-(

It is definitely possible to make this work with flatdhcp in multihost mode.  Can you configure your home router to route for the whole range but not give out leases for macs it doesn't know?

Then you can use
--dnsmasq_config_file=/path/to/config
in that config file you can use:
dhcp_opiton=3,<ip of router> to force vms to use your router as their gateway.

You may have to setup a forward on the router to get metadata to work, but I think this gets you 90% of the way there.
(it may work to just run nova-api on each compute and leave metadata_host on the host_ip, but i'm not sure if it will go out to the gateway by default and skip the iptables rule on localhost)

I know this basic setup was working as far back as diablo because it is the setup that freecloud is using.

Vish