[Openstack] Basic networking/configuration woes

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Fri Feb 24 00:35:19 UTC 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:

> Thanks for chipping in.
>
> I have contributed a patch (which has merged) which should allow you
> to stop editing the SQL:  https://review.openstack.org/#change,3816
> With that, you should be able to pass the full range, with an
> additional argument specifying the subset that nova controls:
> e.g.-fixed_cidr=10.200.0.0/16

Oh cool.. that'll save me some pain. :)

> When I boot my VM, I think it gets a real address from my DHCP server
> (because the VM can reach the DHCP server), but not the address nova
> assigned it!  I believe the nova iptables rules mean that the machine
> can't then do TCP/IP, but even if I am wrong/could overcome that, I
> don't think cloud-init could then configure the correct address.

If you're going to go the cloud-init route... you wouldn't need DHCP, right?   There should be iptables rules to allow you to talk to the metadata service over 169.254.*  (And linux should give you a default link-local address that allows you to talk to the MD service magically)

Do you have a non-nova DHCP server running as well?

- Chris