[Openstack] DeltaCloud

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 19:50:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 11:04 -0500, Frans Thamura wrote:
> anyone know deltacloud
>
> i think this is intersting
>
> esp after OpenStack want to make their own standard vs Amazon API :)
>
> i think the foundation need to be hurry and work closely with
> Apache ;0
>
> http://www.sdtimes.com/APACHE_ADOPTS_NEW_TOP_LEVEL_CLOUD_PROJECT/By_Alex_Handy/About_APACHE_and_CLOUD_and_DELTACLOUD/36373

I am the maintainer of Apache Deltacloud - I'd be very interested in
discussing closer collaboration with OpenStack. We've had a driver for
the v1.0 API for quite some time, and are in the process of also writing
one for the v1.1. API.

In terms of the bigger picture, there's a few ways in which we could
collaborate. For starters, it would be great to have some stackers
participate in DC directly[1], e.g. in helping with the OpenStack
driver, making sure it continues to work etc.

The whole cloud API landscape is of course an interesting one ;) To me,
the best bet for an API that can be adopted widely and is independent is
the DMTF's nascent CIMI API[2] We are in the process of implementing
that API as an alternative frontend to the DC server.

A first step to adopting DC in OpenStack would be to bundle DC with the
OpenStack code (or make sure it's very easy to set up on the widely used
distros that carry OpenStack). A more involved step would be to write an
entire OpenStack API frontend that exposes the DC (or CIMI) API.

David

[1] http://deltacloud.apache.org/contact.html
[2] http://dmtf.org/standards/cloud