[Openstack] Question on i8ln?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Feb 13 20:50:03 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get clarification on something I never understood related to i8ln.

In nova HACKING.rst there is a line that mentions how log messages should be using gettext for i8ln.

Is it common in other companies to attempt to internationalize log messages?

I've seen this throughout the different openstack code and never quite understood why.

I can understand horizon being internationalized, but debugging/error/warning (logging) messages? Isn't that meant to be read by a developer, who will most likely understand english (to some degree).

??

-Josh