[Openstack] Remove Zones code - FFE

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Feb 13 04:45:41 UTC 2012

+1 on shards / partitions / anything to avoid the naming confusion with availability zones.

(congrats on the branch! Looking forward to trying it!)
From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Chris Behrens [cbehrens at codestud.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:50 PM
To: Leandro Reox
Cc: openstack at lists.launchpad.net; Chris Behrens
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Remove Zones code - FFE

Sorry, I'm late.  Really getting down to the wire here. :)

I've thrown up a version here: https://review.openstack.org/#change,4062

I've not functionally tested it yet, but there's really good test coverage for the zones service itself.   I also have added a test_compute_zones which tests that all of the compute tests pass while using the new ComputeZonesAPI class.

There's a couple bugs I note in the review and then I think I'm missing pushing some instance updates to the top in libvirt code.  And missing an update for instance deletes in the compute manager.  Going to hit those up today and finish this off.

One other comment:  It's been suggested we not call this stuff 'Zones' anymore.  It gets confused with availability zones and so forth.  Since this is really a way to shard nova, it has been suggested to call this 'Shards'. :)   Not sure I dig that name completely, although it makes sense.  Thoughts?

- Chris