[Openstack] multi_host networking, but not on all nodes?

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 23:02:52 UTC 2012

If you are using vlan mode, you can run multiple nova-networks.  Each project network will be randomly assigned to one host when it is instantiated.  There is no automatic failover from one node to another, but you could use the strategy that ntt designed before ha was available, esentially drbd and heartbeat. You could for example run 2 or 3 network nodes to spread the traffic, and pair each one with a hot failover.

Also, if you are worried about running ips there are tricky ways of giving out the same IP to all nova-networks for a given network instead of assigning a different ip to every host.  It is a one line change in network/manager.py, but it requires that you manually create ebtables rules to avoid ip conflicts.

Vish