[Openstack] Extensions, code vs. API

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 20:04:43 UTC 2012

Yes some extensions modify core code. We are trying to strike a middle ground between ease-of-implementation and stability.  Stability of the API is vital, so public facing features definitely need to be extensions until we create a new version of the api. Internal stability is less important, so modifying core components to implement important extensions seems ok.

Eventually we might have to develop db-extensions and manager and driver plugins so you could ship all levels of an extension separately.  This would be very valuable, but it also significantly complicates the code base, so we have been avoiding generalizing the code so far.

Something to think about at the design summit.  I'm going to propose a discussion regarding shipping external "drivers", and this seems like it fits right in with that.

Vish