[Openstack] [Nova] Essex dead wood cutting

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 10:35:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:52:17AM +0000, Armando Migliaccio wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, the ESXi support is up to date. There may be bugs, but which virt driver is perfect ;)?
>
> Sateesh may know more, because he is the main contributor/maintainer from Citrix.
>
> However, as Vish pointed out in a previous email, any driver is doomed to rot if:
>
> a) no one is deploying OpenStack using the specific driver, thus unveiling potential problems;
> b) a pool of developers (not necessarily the first committer) keep the code up to date, increase functionality and test coverage (both unit and functional);
>
> Clearly both xenapi and libvirt are actively developed and deployed. How about vmwareapi? Anyone?
>
> Let's make sure that vmwareapi is not going to be the next one to bite the dust.

FWIW, libvirt has pretty reasonable abilities to manage VMWare ESX servers,
and some very basic support for Hyper-V. It would be interesting to see if
the OpenStack libvirt driver can be developed to support these targets too.
If the libvirt VMWare/HyperV drivers are not currently good enough for
OpenStack's needs, IMHO, it would be worth putting effort into improving
libvirt. It seems like a needless duplicated effort to have the libvirt
& OpenStack communities both trying to write hypervisor portability
layers.

Regards,
Daniel