[Openstack] Associating virtual instance NICs to specific networks in quantum

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Dec 31 18:24:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Balamurugan V G <balamuruganvg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Itzik. This basically goes by the order. Though this should suffice
> for most cases, it would have been nice to have more fine grain control and
> specify the interface names as well.
>
> Also, we cant achieve this in Horizon yet. Any idea when Horizon will
> reach feature parity with CLI?

It is targeted for Grizzly, but progress has been slow:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/quantum-vnic-ordering

One of the reasons for the delay is that this requires a new horizon widget
(
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/orderable-mutiple-choice-field),
so if someone wants to work on this, that would speed things up :)

Dan

> Regards,
> Balu
>

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Itzik Brown <itzikb at dev.mellanox.co.il>wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> What about running nova boot:
>> #nova boot --flavor m1.tiny --image myimage --nic
>> net-id=e7038a3b-cd45-4795-83ec-02b0a11a9bf1 --nic
>> net-id=dc95727d-9495-44e8-9b27-0a942cd671fc vm1.
>>
>> Here the first NIC will be connected to Network with ID
>> e7038a3b-cd45-4795-83ec-02b0a11a9bf1 and the second to Network with ID
>> dc95727d-9495-44e8-9b27-0a942cd671fc.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>> Itzik
>>
>> On 28/12/2012 06:26, Balamurugan V G wrote:
>>
>> Lets says, I create a Linux virtual Instance in an OpenStack private
>> cloud and associate the instance with two networks; A & B. It seems to
>> associate eth0 and eth1 to A and B respectively. But is there any way in
>> which I can specify that eth0 should be attached to network B and eth1
>> should be attached to network A.
>>
>> The quantum CLI 'quantum port-create' accepts just device-id and
>> network-id which is not sufficient to achieve the level of specificity I
>> believe. Can this be achieved today?
>>
>> Also when will the Horizon UI and Quantum REST API reach feature parity
>> with the Quantum CLI? will it be in Grizzly or later?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Balu

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com