[Openstack] cloud-init and resizing centos image

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Fri Dec 28 11:08:26 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 10:05 AM, YIP Wai Peng wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to build a CentOS image. I followed the instructions here:
> at http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/starter/content/CentOS-de1592.html
>
> I have also added EPEL cloud-init package to the image that I build.
>
> I can boot the image fine, however, the root partition does not resize
> upon boot.
>
> I am reading around but the documentation is quite sketchy. All I know
> that I might need cloud-initramfs-growroot or something, but there's
> no docs on how to achieve that.
>
> Can I know if there's anyone on the list that has successfully create
> CentOS images and using cloud-init to expand the root partition?
>
> - WP

Yes, nova currently can only grow raw, unpartitioned, ext[234] images.
As for cloud-initramfs-growroot for EPEL, it currently doesn't exist, as per:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2012-December/002110.html
The workaround suggested in that thread was to
"run fdisk from initrd and expand the partition and fs."

thanks,
Pádraig.