[Openstack] Openstack High Availability

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:11:29 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I am following the high availability guide provided by openstack as seen
here: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ha/content/ch-intro.html

I currently have mysql and rabbitmq setup with pacemaker and corosync.
 Everything seems to be working fine.

I am now adding in the openstack services.  I have keystone configured and
it is using haproxy for load balancing/redundancy and keepalived for the
virtual IP.  haproxy is set configured to bind to non-local address and is
running on all HA nodes.

Is this a good way to make the openstack services such as glance, swift,
nova and keystone HA?

Is it preferable to have keepalived start haproxy on the node that it
assigns the virtual IP to, or is my setup with the non-local binding ok?

Is this (
http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-network/admin/content/ha_pacemaker.html)
the preferred to make the networking (quantum) HA?

and one last question:

What is a good method to detect a compute node failure and automatically
restart the virutal machines it was running on another node?

Thank you so much, and sorry to bombard you with questions!

Sam