[Openstack] Fwd: Running OVS with VLAN tagged ports inside a ESXi host

Endre Karlson endre.karlson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:51:17 UTC 2012

Hi, is this feasable to do? I'm trying to run some servers inside of a ESXi
host that uses a OpenvSwitch with VLAN tagged ports. I've tagged the port
group with 4095 in the ESXi host and then inside the VM I do:
ovs-vsctl add-br br-virtual
ovs-vsctl add-port br-virtual eth1
ovs-vsctl add-port br-virtual vlan61 tag=61 -- set Interface vlan61
type=internal
ifconfig vlan61 172.16.59.X/24

But if I try to get traffic going on the vlan61 interface all I can get
going is L2 traffic, L3 is jammed. And I know there's hosts there that's up
and running because I have 2 physical nodes on the same VLAN using the
method described above and they work perfectly.

Though the funny bit is if I setup the VLAN interface using
vconfig add eth1 61
ifconfig eth1.61 172.16.59.X/24

I can ping other hosts on the VLAN but not when using the OVS method?

I am basically trying to achieve something like RS does with their private
"cloud on cloud" terminology, where you run the cloud services in a virtual
environment rather then in a physical one.

NOTE: the following are still drafts
Hypervisor setup
https://docs.google.com/drawings/pub?id=1PqaIuPFJRPUHhhK4rlaCSqoaZVWD5OOCfvJA2jszjl0&w=1440&h=1080

Instance setup
https://docs.google.com/drawings/pub?id=15KY5qlZ1AR85ZQgj-KXLz2886lQTjL0ehUWpw8ICre4&w=1440&h=1080

Basically the original issue was that I would have L3 connectivity issues
between my instances on the compute nodes and the Router / DHCP part
running on the Virtual machine inside the Hypervisor running those services
but L2 worked fine.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I feel that VLANs are maybe
incompatible for my wanted setup and maybe tunneling would be way better?

Endre.