[Openstack] is it possible to connect to real public network in quantum in tunnel mode?

Liu Wenmao marvelliu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:04:50 UTC 2012

I follow the OpenStack Network (Quantum) Administration Guide and build  an
internal network and I want VMs in the private network to access Internet.

So I follow the instructions and create a "external network", and the
internal VM has a floating ip, but it can not connect to the physical
Internet. I guess the external network is still a logical concept, which
can not be physical one.

root at controller:~# quantum floatingip-list
+--------------------------------------+------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------+
| id                                   | fixed_ip_address |
floating_ip_address | port_id                              |
+--------------------------------------+------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------+
| f2148ab7-02f8-465a-a23c-fbdb77c8e2bd | 10.0.50.4        | 192.168.3.164
    | 1f0dce9f-1ada-4b39-96b9-4285c111afba |
+--------------------------------------+------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------+

root at controller:~# quantum net-list -- --router:external=True
| id                                   | name   | subnets

| bbe28ed0-fff2-4944-84ba-c410a5bdd164 | public |
1695bffe-460a-4cf7-8c47-4c7fa39d4041 |

So is it possible to connect to the Internet in the tunnel mode, should I
use the vlan mode? What configurations should I change in the vlan mode?

thanks all