[Openstack] S3 Token

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 22:11:19 UTC 2012

Hi Chmouel,

The NeCTAR Research Cloud uses it with Keystone, and that encompasses many
hundreds of active users (Tom can correct me on the numbers), even in the
early phase of deployment nationally.

As I indicated in my initial reply, I don't think complete removal of
s3token should be an option. It would be an unnecessarily disruptive change
to active clients.

Someone else asked about s3token config just the other day on this very
list - so it's not just us :-).

Cheers,
~Blair

On 9 December 2012 19:52, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel at chmouel.com> wrote:

> Hello Anne,
>
> Where are those feedbacks? Any chances if I can see them? I am wondering
> if people are using s3 with swauth or with keystone.
>
> Cheers,
> Chmouel.
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chmouel -
>> We get a lot of questions from the doc about supporting S3, but I don't
>> know if it's with Keystone or without. Basically, it's this page that gets
>> a lot of feedback and use:
>>
>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/configuring-openstack-object-storage-with-s3_api.html
>>
>> So, tell me if that's s3 token? Or just using S3 creds sans Keystone?
>> That would help me help you decide how to proceed. Whew. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anne
>>

>>  On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Blair Bethwaite <
>> blair.bethwaite at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Chmouel,

>>> Option 3 is very unpalatable IMHO. People have existing clients using
>>> the EC2 creds with libraries such as Boto and Libcloud, so any kind of
>>> complete removal would need to be staged over releases to give fair
>>> warning. What's more, surely part of the point in providing the AWS APIs in
>>> the first place is to ease porting, requiring different creds for EC2 and
>>> S3 APIs unnecessarily complicates that.
>>>
>>> I vote for option 1 or 2.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,