[Openstack] [Folsom] How VM is connected to Swift storage

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Mon Dec 3 11:49:03 UTC 2012

> I would like to ask you for some explanations about OpenStack production use case,
>I don't understand how my new VM will be connected to Swift storage nodes.

You can use swift as backend to store the vm images (through glance).
When a vm instance is created you can select these vm images as a source.
Note that the image will be copied to local storage on the compute node when it is started so it is really just an image store, you can not directly run the image from swift.

>My question is: will the BLOBS (images, videos, user upload files..) of that web apps, be automatically saved into
>Swift storage? Or, our developers will have to change that every single application's code and tell them to save >and retrieve BLOBS from remote Swift servers?
Yes, the applications needs to be modified.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen