[Openstack] display_name, hostname, and muliple instances

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Thu Aug 30 15:06:37 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to understand the difference between "display_name" and "hostname" in the instances table, and struggling a bit to track their use though the code.   It looks to me as if:

                display_name is always the name specified by the user

                hostname is a sanitized version of this (always converted to lowercase, etc)

Is that correct, and if so:

-          Is there anything which makes sure that the sanitized hostname is always unique for a particular customer (or are they meant to understand and anticipate the consequences of this sanitization)

-          How is the hostname set when creating more than one instance at the same time (I thought I'd remembered seeing something in the code sometime back to add the an integer to the hostname, but I can't seem to see anything in the current code that does this)

Thanks
Phil