[Openstack] Migration

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 01:48:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Perhaps we should also have a CHANGELOG file to explain the major
> features/changes...
>
> Perhaps a 'MIGRATION' file as well that explains how to migrate from
> version - 1?

I think that this would be a great start.

In the long term, I would like to be able to do rolling upgrades
across a system. It is important in the short term to understand
dependencies between components as it pertains to versioning; ie, is
it possible to run a folsom keystone with essex nova? Or could an
essex nova-compute interact with a folsom nova-api? What are the hard
and soft requirements for version mixing? I've had decent success
performing rolling upgrades between versions of nova-compute in terms
of the ubuntu maintenance releases of essex, but I suspect in general
this is way too high of a bar to expect for all components. Even
building a decent mental map of interdependencies would help a lot
when planning maintenance activities.
 -nld