[Openstack] associating provider vlan and IP allocation pool with a subnet

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Aug 29 17:22:16 UTC 2012

Hi Naveen,

That is almost correct. You can associate a provider network (either a
physical network or a vlan) with a Quantum network. The association is at
the network level, not the subnet level.

As the 'provider networks' is an extension in quantum, there is no direct
CLI option available. However the quantum CLI allows for configuring
extensions using the following syntax:

quantum <command> <core_parameters> -- <extended_parameters>

for instance the following syntax should create a network associate with a
specific vlan id, on the default physical interface:

quantum net-create <network_name> -- --provider:vlan_id 999

Please keep in mind that the provider networks extension will be feature
complete with folsom-rc1. In the Folsom-3 milestone, provider networks are
not yet supported with Open vSwitch. The related patch is currently under
review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11388/

Regards,
Salvatore