[Openstack] Migration

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Aug 29 17:15:53 UTC 2012

I think a new release should contains details of how to do the upgrade
(rather than discovering as we try it)

I should aim that the deliverables for each of the projects in a new version
includes in the release notes:

A. dependencies (i.e. does glance folsom need to talk to horizon folsom or
can it also talk to horizon essex)
B. migration steps to move an instance to the latest version (i.e. how do I
get glance essex to glance horizon)

Planning an production upgrade will be very time consuming if it requires
the person(s) to understand all the components in depth and derive the steps
from the bug fixes.

One of the items to review within the user/project feedback loop would be
how we validate for a release (I used to call this system test as opposed to
integration test, years ago). This would be the steps where we validate that
a release complies with a set of deployability criteria (such as migration
steps and documentation).

Would the upcoming Folsom release meet these criteria (A./B.) for each core
project ?

Tim