[Openstack] Default rules for the 'default' security group

Tom Fifield fifieldt at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 29 00:22:48 UTC 2012

On 24/08/12 20:50, Yufang Zhang wrote:
> 2012/8/24 Gabriel Hurley <Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
> <mailto:Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com>>
>
>     I traced this through the code at one point looking for the same
>     thing. As it stands, right now there is **not** a mechanism for
>     customizing the default security group’s rules. It’s created
>     programmatically the first time the rules for a project are
>     retrieved with no hook to add or change its characteristics.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I’d love to see this be possible, but it’s definitely a feature
>     request.____
>
>     __
>

>   Really agreed. I have created a blueprint to track this issue:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/default-rules-for-default-security-group

At NeCTAR, rather than modifying the default group we create 3 new
groups (SSH, ICMP, HTTP/S) for the tenant at the time of tenant
creation, and found this to be a reasonable compromise between security
and convenience. This has its issues of course, but perhaps the
blueprint could be extended to cover the creation of new groups, as well
as modifying the existing default one . . .