[Openstack] OpenStack and IGMP

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Fri Aug 24 21:32:41 UTC 2012

Hi Juris,

Some more detail would be useful here.  It sounds like you're trying
to use multicast, for which IGMP is a control protocol.  Is it that
you're trying to run nova VMs and make sure they can participate in
multicast groups?  Basic flat Nova networking connects VMs directly to
a physical network, so the configuration of multicast on the routers
(and IGMP snooping on the switches) is generally something that would
happen outside the scope of openstack configuration.  For private
networks in VlanManager mode or with Quantum, the existing L3
forwarding logic does not run a daemon that participates in IGMP, so
there's no out-of-the box way to get IGMP working between a private
network and the external network in your data center, I suspect (my
guess is that you'd have to muck with making the host running
nova-network or the quantum-l3-agent also run a multi-cast aware
routing software, like Quagga).  In the future, Quantum will enable
pluggable back-ends for "logical routers", in which case you'll be
able to get routing back-ends from different vendors and projects,
many of which will support IGMP.

Dan

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Juris <juris at zee.lv> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you have any experience configuring OpenStack to work with IGMP traffic?
> If I have IGMP server and appropriate network infrastructure, what is
> the best way to bound it with one of OpenStack's private networks?

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt