[Openstack] Translation, Internationalization and Localization in OpenStack

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Wed Aug 22 01:07:26 UTC 2012

In conjunction with the PTLs, the Docs team, the Infrastructure team, various community members and more, I'm very happy to say that we are ready to share out a complete set of documentation and processes for translation, internationalization, and localization for OpenStack as a whole. The document lives on the wiki here:

http://wiki.openstack.org/Translations

The critical infrastructure is already in place, and Nova, Horizon, Keystone and Docs are already up and running with the new processes (and have been successfully for a little while now).

Of immediate importance is the fact that we are technically under string freeze right now, so (as Thierry pointed out at the meeting earlier today) any review that alters strings marked for translation should be flagged and requires special consideration and coordination with translators before being merged. The string freeze gives translators a period of time before a release in which translations do not change so they can complete their work properly.

Comments and critiques of the process are welcome, but let's keep them on the mailing list before making edits to the wiki page.

Obviously we'll continue to refine this over time.

Thanks, and happy translating!

    - Gabriel