[Openstack] [Glance] Implementing Common Image Properties

Brian Waldon bcwaldon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:11:20 UTC 2012

We discussed a common set of image properties a while back on the mailing list ([1] and [2]). The general idea was to define a common way to expose useful image properties (distro, version, architecture, packages, etc).

It doesn't appear we ever came to a hard consensus, but Rackspace has been publishing the following properties in their deployment:

org.openstack__1__architecture = x64
org.openstack__1__os_distro = org.ubuntu
org.openstack__1__os_version = 12.04

If the idea is to get all deployments to publish these properties, I think what Rackspace has implemented would be a good starting point. The question I want to pose to the community is this:

Does it make sense to ship a set of JSON schemas with Glance that represent these properties? Doing so wouldn't explicitly require all deployments to use them, but it would reduce the work required to publish them and help ensure they have a common meaning across deployments. Keep in mind that we would be shipping these as a part of Glance, not as a part of the Images API spec.

I personally think it would be great to provide these, and to do so in the Folsom release so those deployers riding major releases wouldn't be left out in the dark.

All comments welcome!

Brian Waldon

[1] http://markmail.org/message/5bd5zkyre57ppi3n
[2] http://markmail.org/message/soaldxs4lovd2uir