[Openstack] Snapshotting ephemeral disks?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 17 20:00:23 UTC 2012

> This is not possible. Sounds like you really want a fix for this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/914484
>
> The fix was reverted but hopefully it can be cleaned up and come back in.

That looks like it would get us where we want to be.  My main goal is
to have a relatively easy process for someone without administrative
access to the host to...

- Uploading an ISO image.
- Boot an instance from that image.
- Install an OS onto something.
- Transform <something> from the previous step into a deployable
  image.

Allowing images booted from an ISO to have an attached, snapshottable
root drive would certainly work.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/