[Openstack] A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines

Anton Beloglazov anton.beloglazov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:41:37 UTC 2012

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your interest! My algorithms are based on analyzing historical
data on the CPU utilization by VMs. The idea is to abstract from the
application-specific details and make the system applicable to any kinds of
workloads. The CPU utilization data are used to decide when VMs can be
consolidated, and also to deconsolidate VMs when there is a high risk of
performance degradation. If you are interested in the details of the
algorithms, they are given in the following two papers:

[1] Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, "Optimal Online Deterministic
Algorithms and Adaptive Heuristics for Energy and Performance Efficient
Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers",
Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience (CCPE), Wiley Press,
New York, USA, 2012 (in press, accepted on September 2, 2011).
http://beloglazov.info/papers/2012-optimal-algorithms-ccpe.pdf

[2] Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, "Managing Overloaded Hosts for
Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers Under
Quality of Service Constraints", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and
Distributed Systems (TPDS), IEEE CS Press, USA, 2012 (in press, accepted on
August 2, 2012).
http://beloglazov.info/papers/2012-host-overload-detection-tpds.pdf

Thanks,
Anton