[Openstack] [Quantum] Removing quantum-rootwrap

jrd at redhat.com jrd at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 00:23:52 UTC 2012

>    From: Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com>
>    Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:22:31 -0700
>
>    On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>        Dan Wendlandt wrote:
>        > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
>        > <vishvananda at gmail.com <mailto:vishvananda at gmail.com>> wrote:
>        >
>        >     This is up to dan, I suppose, but the rootwrap stuff seems like
>        >     something worth granting a ffe to…
>        >
>        >
>        > I wasn't going to mention it, as the urgency of a nearby deadline can be
>        > helpful :)
>        >
>        > But yes, I'd grant an ffe to something this important, especially
>        > because it applies across all uses of quantum.
>
>        On one hand it's a change that impacts almost all use cases, so
>        definitely not something that is simple or self-contained. On the other,
>        it's quite easy to trace back issues to this. In summary, if it's the
>        only exception in Quantum, it's not really a problem :)
>
>        [warning: a trick is included in the last paragraph]
>
>    ttx, I caught it.... I'm on to your project management jedi mind tricks :)
>
>    jrd, my feeling is that we'd need a patch for this under review this week to understand the
>    magnitude of the changes if we want to consider if for a feature-freeze exception.  Thanks.

Got it.

I apologise that this is taking longer than I hoped.  I'm still
spending more time on learning curve than getting real productive
stuff done.  I suppose some of that's to be expected, but still.

I spent most of today getting my test env up to snuff, getting more
unit test infra written, and then trying to work out how to debug the
unit tests.  My python-debugging techniques are rusty, so I have to
feel my way through.

I'll work with the local RH contingent tomorrow.  If I can get my new
unit tests to behave, I *hope* to be able to run the rest of the suite
through in relatively short time.  <cross fingers>  If you (Dan and
ttx) start feeling like we're just too tight, please say so, and we'll
work out plan B.  Until then, I'm going to keep banging on this to
pull it together.