[Openstack] instance evacuation from a failed node (rebuild for HA)

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Sat Aug 11 07:07:46 UTC 2012

> From: Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org>
> > We have submitted a patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11086/ to
address
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/rebuild-for-ha that
simplifies
> > recovery from a node failure by introducing an API that recreates an
> > instance on *another* host (similar to the existing instance 'rebuild'
> > operation).
[...]
> If shared storage is available, the only think that likely needs to
> happen is for the instance's host to be updated in the database, and
> a reboot issued for the instance. That would keep everything identical,
> and would likely be much faster.

That's pretty much what we do in 'manager' -- but what needs to happen in
'driver' is to (re)create the domain in libvirt on the destination host,
re-attach volumes, floating IPs, etc. Essentially, everything 'spawn' is
doing today, just without creating the new instance file. Of course, we
don't re-provision the instance from image in this case.

> - Ryan

Regards,
Alex