[Openstack] Setting Expectations

Nathanael Burton nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 00:49:02 UTC 2012

I personally equate OpenStack to the Linux Kernel. It's the foundation and
core components that, in OpenStack's case, make up an Infrastructure as as
Service (IaaS) system, a "cloud" kernel.  We should expect the core
components and APIs to be stable with sane deprecation policies, but
OpenStack shouldn't do everything for everyone. It should facilitate and
provide the stable framework or foundation in which to build production
quality, large scale (and small) public and private IaaS systems. In and of
itself I believe OpenStack is not an IaaS distribution, ala Linux
distributions (Debian, Fedora, RedHat, SuSe, Ubuntu) which take the Linux
kernel and build all the user-space and complementary services that make up
a manageable, secure, monitored system.

However, that doesn't mean OpenStack ignores the
user/operator/packager/distro side of things.  Where we the developers and
operators of OpenStack see areas to make configuration, management,
development, documentation of OpenStack easier we strive to incorporate
those things back into core.

None of the above is meant as criticism, it's simply how I categorize
OpenStack in the cloudy landscape.

Nate