[Openstack] Can't update the metadata via nova cli

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:31:44 UTC 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:56 PM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did I miss something?

 Unfortunately this is confusing because the term metadata is used for two different things.

the metadata visible to the instance is a replication of the aws metadata server. it is constructed from the database (mostly the instances table)

The metadata you were setting with your command are sets of keys and values that are visible in the compute api:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/developer/openstack-compute-api-1.1/content/MetadataSection.html

which is stored in the instance_metadata table

> Last question, is there a way to update the metadata of a running instance. I mean instead of updating the db record... For example re-injecting a SSH key?

no, there is currently no way of doing this through the api.

Vish