[Openstack] Help with meta-data

Simon Walter simon at gikaku.com
Thu Aug 9 09:42:13 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 12:59 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2012, at 8:20 PM, "Simon Walter" <simon at gikaku.com> wrote:
>

>> On 08/09/2012 06:45 AM, Jay Pipes
>> I guess I'll have to build a VM from scratch, as I was relying on the ssh key to be able to ssh into the VM, which apparently is supplied by the meta-data service.
>>
> use cirros.
> load an image, ssh on with 'cirros' user. pass is 'cubswin:)'

Thank you. That was good advice.

Somehow I was not able to connect via ssh. I managed to get novnc
working and logged into the VM. I can't find anything about connecting
via serial or the like as you can with Xen. I need to read more about
KVM I guess.

Anyway, I think my networking setup is stuffed. I thought the "10
minutes" install would be the quickest way to get and running. Now I
find myself pouring over documentation trying to understand how best to
setup FlatDHCPManager with two network interfaces. I understand many
things have changed. So I don't want to go reading something out of
date. I found these blog posts which explained a lot:
http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-flatmanager-and-flatdhcpmanager/#comments
http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-single-host-flatdhcpmanager/
But am I reading the wrong thing? I like the way Stackgeek had it set up:
http://stackgeek.com/guides/gettingstarted.html

But I think they are missing details or it's out dated. For example,
with their setup the vnc console in horizon does not work because
nova-vncproxy is installed rather than novnc.

I'm pretty sure I can figure the networking out if I have the right
documentation in the first place. Is there a clear instructions for this
anywhere? Or would someone mind walking me through it again. So far I've
followed the stackgeek setup above, but the networking is obviously stuffed.

Must I have the flat_interface in promiscuous mode?
Or does it actually need an IP address?
Why are my VMs picking up an IP address from the public_interface DHCP
server and not from the flat_network_bridge?

Too many questions to ask. So I thought I should just ask: what is
missing or incorrect from Stackgeeks 10 minute scripts?

Many thanks for any advice, tips, docs, etc.

Cheers,

Simon

--
simonsmicrophone.com