[Openstack] KVM live block migration: stability, future, docs

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 08:14:21 UTC 2012

Daniel,

Thanks for providing this insight, most useful. I'm interpreting this
as: block migration can be used in non-critical applications, mileage
will vary, thorough testing in the particular environment is
recommended. An alternative implementation will come, but the higher
level feature (live-migration without shared storage) is unlikely to
disappear.

Is that a reasonable appraisal?

On 8 August 2012 19:59, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> Block migration is a part of the KVM that none of the upstream developers
> really like, is not entirely reliable, and most distros typically do not
> want to support it due to its poor design (eg not supported in RHEL).

Would you mind/be-able-to elaborate on those reliability issues? E.g.,
is there anything we can do to mitigate them?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo