[Openstack] KVM live block migration: stability, future, docs

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 08:03:09 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for following this up!

On 8 August 2012 19:53, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> not tune this downtime setting, I don't see how you'd see 4 mins
> downtime unless it was not truely live migration, or there was

Yes, quite right. It turns out Nova is not passing/setting libvirt's
VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE when it is asked to "live-migrate" a guest, so it is
not proper live-migration. That is the default behaviour unless the
flag is added to the migrate flags in nova.conf, unfortunately that
flag isn't currently mentioned in the OpenStack docs either.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo