[Openstack] adding security groups to running virtual machines

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Aug 8 17:20:21 UTC 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes, currently Nova only allows associating security groups at boot, though
you can change the rules in a security group post boot.

Quantum (new openstack networking service) will be adding a more advanced
notion of security groups which allows changing groups of booted instances
and other improvements.  This had been targeted for Folsom-3, but looks
very unlikely to make it in time for Folsom.

The difference between Nova security groups and Quantum security groups is
similar to the differences between traditional amazone security groups and
Amazon "VPC" security groups (see: http://aws.amazon.com/vpc/faqs/#S2)

Dan

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler <
wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software.at> wrote:

> it's not me :)
> http://forums.openstack.org/**viewtopic.php?f=10&t=719<http://forums.openstack.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=719>
>

> On 08/08/2012 11:06 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> is it me or is it openstack who can't modify security groups for running
>> virtual machines?
>> nova help | grep sec
>> doesn't give me a clue.
>>
>> thanks for a hint,
>> Wolfgang
>>

> --
> DI (FH) Wolfgang Hennerbichler
> Software Development
> Unit Advanced Computing Technologies
> RISC Software GmbH
> A company of the Johannes Kepler University Linz
>
> IT-Center
> Softwarepark 35
> 4232 Hagenberg
> Austria