[Openstack] vlan, public IP, certain vm services ok others not

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 03:36:36 UTC 2012

Hi All,

 I have an OpenStack install where the cloud controller has a
public/routeable interface and a management/vm interface.

I am running a single instance in a VLAN with a public/floating IP.
This instance is running nginx webserver on port 80

I can ssh and ping the public IP but if I try to telnet to port 80 I
get "no route to host".

Any idea what could be going on?  I can not connect to port 80 on the
either the fixed IP or floating IP from the node, or the floating IP
remotely.

Here is some of the information I am sure you will want to see
(x.x.x.226 is the cloud controller, x.x.x.230 is the floating up of
the instance):

trying to connect to the various ports: http://paste2.org/p/2093635
the secgroup I included when booting the image: http://paste2.org/p/2093634
iptables on cloud controller (FILTER table):  http://paste2.org/p/2093628
iptables on cloud controller (NAT table): http://paste2.org/p/2093630
listening ports on the instance: http://paste2.org/p/2093629

If you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.  I can't
imagine why ssh and ping would work, but not this.

Thanks,
Sam