[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Aug 3 00:52:17 UTC 2012

> What do you mean by "membership services"?
See the email today from Yun Mao.  This is a proposal to have a pluggable framework for integration services that maintain memberships. This was originally desiged to replace the MySQL heartbeats in Nova, although there will be a mysql-heartbeat backend by default as a drop-in replacement. There is a zookeeper backend in the works, and we've discussed the possibility of building a backend that can poll RabbitMQ's list_consumers.

This is useful for more than just Nova's heartbeats, however.  This will largely supplant the requirement for the matchmaker to build these backends in itself, which had been my original plan (the matchmaker is already in openstack-common).  As such, it had already been my intent to have a MySQL-backed matchmaker.  The only thing new is that someone has actually written the code.

In the first pass, the intention is to leave the matchmaker in and introduce the membership modules.  Then, the matchmaker would either use the new membership modules as a backend, or even replaced entirely.

Regards,
Eric Windisch