[Openstack] Nova Volume and provisionning on iSCSI SAN

Bilel Msekni skible at hotmail.fr
Thu Aug 2 09:31:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I have a question relating to nova-volume, and provisioning block
devices as storage for VMs. As I understand it from the documentation,
nova-volume will take a block device with LVM on it, and then become an
iSCSI target to share the logical volumes to compute nodes. I also
understand that there is another process for using an HP lefthand SAN or
solaris iSCSI setup, whereby nova-volume can interact with APIs for
volume creation on the SAN itself.

I have a dell iSCSI SAN, and I can see that I'd be able to mount a LUN
from the SAN on my nova-volume node, then go through the documented
process of creating an LVM on this LUN and having nova-volume re-share
it over iSCSI to the compute nodes, but what I'm wondering is whether I
can have the compute nodes simple connect to the iSCSI SAN to access
these volumes (which would be created and managed by nova-volume still),
rather than connect each compute node to the iSCSI target which
nova-volume presents? I imagine with this setup, I could take advantage
of the SAN's HA and performance benefits.

Hope that makes sense..