[Openstack] [glance] legacy client removal and python-glanceclient

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:07:16 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:18 PM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:37 +0000, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
>> As a rule of thumb, we need to start doing proper deprecation on all
>> public interfaces, whether that's a CLI, client method signatures,
>> APIs, etc. It's a little late for this on the old vs. new glance
>> client/CLI (unless Brian feels the work can be reasonably done to make
>> them compatible) but it's something we need to be really mindful of
>> going forward.
>
> As an example of how it can be done properly, check out
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/10577/ (at least, I believe I did it
> correctly ;)

The library interface is one thing -- and frankly IMHO easier to
properly deprecate and progress to newer API bindings. It's a little
different for the CLI interfaces, as people are typically just using the
CLI tool in shell scripts (as opposed to binding to the client library's
API).

For the case of shell scripts using the old glance client, the
installation path for the old and new glance CLI tools is different, so
in theory, if you wrote a shell script that used the old glance client,
then installed the new python-glanceclient, you could simply edit your
shell script to point a glance variable to the absolute path of the old
glance CLI executable.

Frankly, we do this is multiple places in devstack where, for example, a
tool or utility has a different name or interface on RedHat vs. Debian
systems.

-jay